Built in the 13th Century, though taking its name from the Mortimers who acquired the Castle in 1308. The tower is semi-circular, a contrast to most of the towers at Ludlow which are rectangular. The tower has been much altered and the ground floor has a fine 15th Century grained vault
The tower was perhaps built as a gatehouse controlling a rear exit from the Castle down to Dinham bridge and the most direct route to Wigmore and Wales. There is a similar feature at Trim Castle in Ireland which like Ludlow was held by the de Genevilles in the 13th Century. It is likely that Richard Duke of York (1411-60) and his son Edward (1442-83), later King Edward IV, escaped through here on 12th October 1459, following the rout of their forces by the Lancastrians at Ludford.
The Chapel of St. Peter. Built by Roger Mortimer (d. 1330) to celebrate his escape from the Tower of London on St. Peter's Day, 29 June, 1324. In 1328 Mortimer assigned a rent of £6 13s 4d to two chaplains to celebrate daily services here 'for the souls of the King, Queens Isabel and Phillipa, Henry Bishop of Lincoln, the said Roger and Joan his wife'. The Decorated style with 'Y' tracery is the most obvious remnant of the original Chapel. The building was much altered about 1570, when a floor was inserted and the upper room was used as a courthouse, with 'two offices under the same for keping of the Recordes'. Three